Ventnor Carnival & Regatta Association
New rules adopted at
the E.G. M. held on
The following rules to replace the existing ones.
1. The association shall be known as THE VENTNOR CARNIVAL ASSOCIATION.
2. The means by which such funds shall be raised shall be in the discretion of the Association in general meeting and shall include the revival in each year of the Ventnor Carnival and the organisation from time to time of entertainments, garden parties, fetes, subscription lists for special purposes and other functions events enterprises or activities of a like nature.
3. MEMBERSHIP of the committee (exclusive of Honorary Members) shall be open to all permanent residents.
4. The Committee shall consist of:-
a) Ordinary membership, being those persons elected at the AGM to serve as officers or members of the committee.
b) Honorary Membership. Such persons as the committee may nominate for election at the AGM as Honorary members shall be eligible for enrolment as Honorary Members.
c) Honorary President. The Mayor of Ventnor currently in office shall be offered the position of President of the Association. If he or she is not able to accept the position another person selected by the ordinary members shall be offered the position in his stead.
5. A meeting of the committee shall be held at least once in each month; the meetings for the month of November in each year shall be the Annual General Meeting at which the Association’s Annual Accounts shall be presented.
6. Committee Members are entitled to attend and vote at all Committee Meetings. Honorary Members, though entitled to attend at all such meetings, are entitled to vote only at the Annual General Meeting.
7. All voting shall be personal and not by proxy.
8. One half of the committee members entitled to attend (inclusive of officers of the Association) shall be a quorum.
9. There shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting by a vote of those attending and qualified to become members according to rule 4 the following officers of the Association to hold off for one year:-
Nominations of eligible persons for election at the AGM as officers or ordinary members of the committee shall be limited to those who are present at the AGM.
10. The Management and administration of the affairs of the association shall be vested in a committee consisting of:
a) The Chairman
b) Vice Chairman
e) Ordinary Member as elected at the AGM
f) Members co-opted to the committee by a majority vote of existing members of the committee at a committee meeting. The secretary shall be in attendance at all meetings of the committee. A meeting of the committee shall be held at least once a month.
11. The Committee in general meeting may appoint Sub-Committees for such purposes upon such terms of reference and with such powers (including power to co-opt non members of the committee to serve there on) as it may think fit, provided that the Chairman of any Sub-Committee shall be a member of the Carnival Committee.
12. Annual Accounts of the Association shall be prepared as at the last day of October in each year, audited by a qualified account, and presented for approval at the Annual General Meeting.
13. The proceedings of any meeting, whether of the Association or of any committee, shall unless a majority of the meeting decided otherwise be conducted ‘in private with the exception of the AGM, or an extraordinary general meeting which shall be a public meeting. Notice of all public meeting shall be given by public advertisement at least 21 days before the meeting.
14. Proper minutes of the proceedings of all meetings, whether of the association or of any committee, shall be kept and shall be signed by the chairman of the meeting as being a true record of such proceedings.
15. All Committee members are required to attend all committee meetings of the association.
16. Any Ordinary member of the committee may resign from membership. Any officer or member resigning must hand over to the committee any property of the Association immediately he or she is so requested.
17. If a member infringes any provision of these Rules, the committee may request him to resign from membership. If the member fails within 7 days to comply with such request, the matter shall be referred to the next following committee meeting of the association which may by the vote of a three-quarters majority of the members attending and voting, expel the offending member and in that event membership shall cease as at the date of the Meeting.
18. The association shall be entirely non-political.
19. All members shall work for the association to the utmost of their ability to ensure the success of any function event or other enterprise organised by the association, and no member shall at any time speak or act in any way calculated to be detrimental to its objectives or activities.
20. It is the Association’s aim that all its activities shall be carried out so far as possible by the voluntary work of its own Members and no paid agent or contractor shall be employed except where strictly necessary for the successful carrying out of any particular activity. (This Rule shall not prevent any Member who is himself a suitable agent or contractor for a particular task good faith and in the ordinary course of business) paid out of the funds of the Association for services rendered in respect of such employment).
21. No activity of the Association shall be carried out for private profit or other wise than for the purposes for which the association exists.
22. These Rules may from time to time be amended by the vote of a two-thirds majority of the eligible persons (as defined in rule 4 above) attending and voting at the Annual General Meeting of the Association or any Extraordinary General Meeting called for that purpose. Any proposal for an amendment of the rules shall be in writing and shall reach the Secretary not less than 14 days before the meeting.
23. Responsibility for any debts incurred by the Association shall be shared equally between Committee members save that any debt incurred by an individual or group of individuals in excess of an amount approved by the Committee shall be the responsibility of those individuals.
24. Copies of these rules shall be publicity available 21 days prior to the AGM, and any Extraordinary General Meeting, and copies shall be supplied to new members within 7 days of their joining the committee.